Wednesday, May 18, 2005

A Whole lot of........Something...

I am just going to write some things down here and I am not sure exactly what will come out. You may very well see the completely random and unpredictable side of me here in this blog entry. Read on and at the end you will know for sure…

Every morning on my way to work I have been dreaming up this really whacked out solo for I&E this year. For those that don’t know (and I am sure you all do by now) I play a contrabass bugle which is basically a Tuba on steroids that you carry around on your should and play loud as hell in a wonderful little activity called drum corps. Drum corps is one of the most intense activities you could ever do in your lifetime, and before you go wondering what I have done exactly let me just tell you I have tried every sport out there with pretty good success, and from a physical and mental standpoint nothing is tougher then this…nothing.

But alas I digress already! Back to this solo thing… I have been dreaming up this really crazy idea that includes multi-phonics, hand claps, foot stomps, air, singing, whistling, and of course brass playing all into one. Sometimes as many as 4 or 5 of these elements at once. The intensity of putting these things together would be absolutely insane, and for me to pull it off would mean that I have to play absolutely phenomenal. I don’t know if I will have the practice time necessary to pull it off though. Living in an apartment doesn’t exactly afford you a lot of practice time. In fact I have nearly been in actual fist fights with neighbors in the past because of practicing. Apparently people enjoy monotone unoriginal Rap music more then something that is actually legitimate and pleasing to listen to.

Which leads me to a rant…would someone please, please, please oh fucking please come up with something more original out there musically. I know you can only have so many ideas out there before something is going to get duplicated, but why not put your own spin on an idea that has been done…you know other then throwing in into the def-jam remix…stupid. Some of the very good groups out there are also starting to sound the same and music at times become very bland to me. Some people find something that is good and then everything they write after that follows the exact same format right down to the chord structure and the beats. Maybe it’s this whole thing with living here on the East coast again. Music here never seems to change…

Which leads me to another idea…when I was living out in California, they had a whole lot of music that was never played here on the east coast, the stuff was great. Then I moved home and about 2 years later there is everything I heard when I first moved out west. My question…Why did it take that long to become popular here? The world will never know…

In other news, I seriously need a vacation. I need to recharge pretty bad and get some time away from these people that I have to deal with every day. I think working so long without a break has taken it’s toll on me mentally. Now granted I have had a long weekend now and again, but I have never taken more then 4 days off in a row. This can’t be healthy. On top of that we don’t get much time away from work for holidays. I think we get 6 holidays for the whole year or something like that. That is just not enough at all. The you have to be here for quite a while to get 2 weeks of vacation, which also happens to be the maximum…well depending on what kind of deal you can get when you are hired anyhow. Remember I am kind of a nobody right off the street and more then 2 weeks off is just something that isn’t going to happen for me. I know some of my friends that get close to 5 weeks between vacation and personal time. Unfortunately for me, and the field I work in, that is a luxury that just doesn’t exist.

So, what else is there? Well other then unpacking and the repacking for drum corps this weekend, absolutely nothing. No let me take that back…absolutely everything! I just have a lot of things to tie up and complete for this move. So far, so good with everything. I am trying to switch over my gym membership now to the local gym here in Crofton. This is not going nearly as well as I would have hoped. There is a lot of BS you have to do just to be able to switch. It is their way of generating fee’s though, which if I had a similar business I would also want to find additional ways to generate fee’s. Unfortunately it’s a hassle though to have to go through a couple of extra steps. It will be done by next week and my normal workout routine can resume.

Well I think I have given everyone out there plenty to read for today…hope you enjoyed today’s edition of my jacked up and crazy ass mind! Catch ya’ll on the flipside!

No comments: