Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving away from home.

This is my second Thanksgiving away from home. In some ways it feels different, but in other ways it doesn't. The first time I was in CA after my Blue Devil auditions and I could not afford to come home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Years. I remember making myself and omlette and toast for dinner because I couldn't afford much of anything else.

At the time I had just turned 20 years old. I moved out there a week before my birthday. I lived in a pretty tough neighborhood in Oakland, CA. About two blocks away from Lake Merritt for those that know the area. I was working at Macy's in Union Square over in San Francisco. The next day, Black Friday, was hell at work, but I made lots of money because I worked on commission.

It is times like those that I will never forget. Struggling to make ends meet in order to live out a dream. It is a big part of who I am today. Which brings us to today. Sure it's Thanksgiving, but it doesn't feel like it. Maybe it is because I am in Canada and they don't celebrate on the same day that we do.

Don't worry, all is not lost. We are postponing the big feast until Saturday when all of our friends can be here! So today, like every other day for me in the last two months is another day of rest!

2 comments:

Christine Hingray said...

AND you forgot to add that this thanksgiving, you are risking your own life by agreeing to eat my food!

Shawn C. said...

Oh I will be right there supervising the food preparaption!

;-p